November 1992, John Harding entered into a contract with Northwood Pulp and
Timber Ltd. to design, fabricate and operate an industrial ferry on Babine Lake
in north central British Columbia.
The new ferry, the “Babine Charger”, was constructed by
Finlay Navigation on the shores of Babine Lake over the spring and summer of
1993. Finlay Navigation utilized many members of the construction crew that
worked on the “FN #1” and “FN #2” projects.
The 230 foot, 1800 hp twin z-drive “Babine Charger” passed
her sea trials and Transport Canada inspection in September, 1993. She travels at 12.5 knots and provides
industry on Babine Lake with cost effective, reliable, environmentally friendly
marine transportation twelve months of the year.